You can submit the application to the territorially competent consular office of the Republic of Poland

No, the documents can be submitted in person or by mail.

You can make an appointment via the e-konsulat system  / by phone at (+221) 33 859 57 70.

  1. transcription application (available at a consular office or download),
  2. original foreign death certificate – remember that when transcribing third country death certificates (such as Burkina Faso, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Cape Verde, Senegal, Côte d’Ivoire), you must legalize the certificate, unless otherwise does not result from separate regulations;
  3. translation of a foreign death certificate by a sworn translator or consul.

Remember! Documents drawn up in a foreign language must be submitted together with an official translation into Polish made by:

  1. sworn translator entered on the list kept by the Minister of Justice
  2. Sworn translator authorized to make such translations in the Member States of the European Union or the European Economic Area (EEA)
  3. consul.

The fee is 50 EUR.

The consul will immediately forward your application to the head of the registry office indicated by you.

You can collect the Polish copy of the certificate in person at the consulate or it can be sent by post.

The head of the registry office refuses to transfer a foreign marital status certificate (transcription) if:

  • the document in the issuing country is not recognized as a civil status document or is not valid or has not been issued by a competent authority, or raises doubts as to its authenticity, or confirms an event other than birth, marriage or death,
  • the foreign document was transcribed in a country other than the state of the event,
  • it would be contrary to the fundamental principles of the legal order of the Republic of Poland.

The refusal to transfer a foreign marital status certificate will take the form of an administrative decision, which may be appealed against to the locally competent voivode. 

Do I need to submit an application for a transcription of a death certificate to obtain a certificate for the transport of the remains or ashes?

No, the transcription of the death certificate is not a prerequisite for the issue of a certificate for the transport of the remains or ashes.

Legal basis

Act of November 28, 2014, Law on civil status records