Remember! The consul does not have the authority to extract copies of marital status records (or certificates of marital status) from civil registry offices in Poland.

Extracting a copy of the marital status certificate by relatives in Poland

On the other hand, copies can be obtained from the relatives of the person staying outside the country and the persons who supervise him, that is:

  1. spouse,
  2. ascendants (parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc.),
  3. descendants (children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc.),
  4. siblings,
  5. statutory representative,
  6. guardian.

The copy can be obtained at any registry office in Poland. 

Relatives of the person concerned are not entitled to obtain a certificate of marital status. A certificate of marital status is issued only at the request of the person concerned.

Extracting a copy of the marital status certificate by the person concerned himself, staying abroad

In the absence of relatives in Poland who could help in obtaining a copy of the marital status certificate, you can:

  1. Contact the competent registry office in Poland and determine the possibility of submitting an application by correspondence. It is connected with the obligation to pay the stamp duty to the account of the appropriate Registry Office.
  2. Extract a copy of the civil status certificate through the ePUAP platform in electronic form (remember that electronic copies may not be honored outside the Republic of Poland, they are also not honored by the consul).
  3. Contact the competent registry office in Poland, submit an application by correspondence for a copy and delivery by a consul. The civil status record will then, upon your request, be sent by the registry office to the consul who will deliver this record to you. In this case, you must pay the Consular Fee according to the Consular Fee Schedule .

Frequently asked questions

A few years ago, I extracted a copy of our marriage certificate through the consulate. Currently, I have received information that this is no longer possible. Is it true?

Yes, the consul does not currently have the authority to extract copies of civil status records from the registry offices in Poland.

I have a copy of my birth certificate issued before March 1, 2015, i.e. on the old A5 print. Is it still valid?

Yes, copies of civil status records issued before March 1, 2015 are valid indefinitely and may still be submitted to administrative authorities. However, certificates of marital status are valid for six months from the date of issue.