Report the loss of your passport or temporary passport abroad immediately to the Polish consular office.

Go to the nearest or chosen consular office – in order to submit a notification of lost passport or temporary passport.

Honorary consul does not accept notifications about the loss of a passport document.

You don’t need to make an appointment.

  • The consul will accept your passport or temporary passport loss notification after you fill in the form that is available at the consulate.On the day of submitting this notification, your passport will no longer be valid . The consul, after making the appropriate checks , will immediately enter the information about the expiry of your passport or temporary passport into the central passport register .

    Remember: if you find your passport, reported to the consul as lost, you can no longer use it or withdraw the notification of loss. The found passport or temporary passport should be returned to the locally competent passport authority (voivode in Poland, consul abroad). You cannot get it back.

    The obligation to return the passport document takes place regardless of whether you already have a new document in place of the lost one, or whether you have not applied for a new document.

    Attempting to present this document when crossing the border may cause serious consequences and difficulties.

The application itself is free of charge.

The consul will accept your notification of the loss of the document immediately.

Loss or destruction of a passport document – and return to the place of permanent residence.

If you lose your passport abroad, at your request, the consul, after confirming your identity and citizenship, will issue you with a temporary passport to return to your place of permanent residence (in Poland or another country).

Remember that the honorary consul cannot issue you with a passport.

Loss of a passport in a country where there is no Polish consul, and return to the place of permanent residence.

If you lose your passport during your stay in a country without a Polish consular office, you can ask a consul of another European Union Member State to issue an EU Emergency Travel Document (ETD).

This document may be issued for a single journey to return to Poland or to another EU Member State, after obtaining the consent of the country of which the applicant is a citizen. In the case of Polish citizens, such consent is issued by the competent Polish consul.

If you lose your passport, first contact the Polish consul in Dakar, who also has functions in Burkina Faso, Republic of Gambia, Republic of Guinea, Republic of Guinea-Bissau, Republic of Mali, Republic of Côte d’Ivoire and Cape Verde by phone (or email) to establish what specific steps you need to take to obtain an emergency travel document.

If the lost passport contained a visa on the basis of which you entered the country, check the information on the departure procedure from the country of residence. It may be difficult to leave some countries without a proper visa and entry stamps.

When planning a return trip to your place of residence, remember that the EU Emergency Travel Document does not entitle you to enter the territory of countries other than the territory of the EU Member States.

Please note that the Honorary Consul cannot issue you with an Emergency Travel Document (ETD).

Legal basis

Act of July 13, 2006 on passport documents

Regulation of the Minister of Internal Affairs and Administration of August 16, 2010 on passport documents

The Act of June 25, 2015, Consular Law

Regulation of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of 29 December 2015 on consular fees